Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Erice

After Segesta, we took another little trip to Erice, a small town resting atop a hill. It is in fact 2500 feet above sea level. Once we arrived there it was lunch time, we split up and the Laurens, Dan, Adam and I found a sign for Ulysses, a pizzeria it seemed like a good bet. Well, upon following one sign it lead to another, which lead to another, which led to another. The whole trip to the restaurant reminded me of the movie Labyrinth, I felt like I should leave bread crumbs. Lunch was one of the best meals I've eaten since I have been here.





After Lunch, we wandered around the town for a while. We were informed that in the summer it is packed, however in the middle of the week in winter the town is dead. It was sort of creepy like in a horror film, totally deserted. It was sort of reassuring to see the large number of strays walking around. We saw lots of little architectural details. Adam and I climbed on top of one of the surrounding walls, that protected the city from invaders. We went until the 30 foot drop off stopped us.




















Then we snuck into a monastery that was being renovated. The way that vegetation grows over the "concrete" objects placed by man is a constant reminder that nature is a force not to be reckoned with. On the bus ride back, everyone passed out from the days adventures.
















No comments: